A Cosmelan peel is a high-powered treatment method, effective for reducing skin discoloration, brown spots, and hyperpigmentation. Cosmelan MD is the
stongest and most concentrated level of Cosmelan available and is appropriate for all skin types.. Unlike some non-surgical cosmetic procedures, there
are no skin type restrictions with Cosmelan MD.
How Does Cosmelan Work?
Cosmelan is a combination of various depigmentation agents. It works by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase, which decreases the production of melanin and
its formation on the skin. Melanin causes dark spots from sun exposure and melasma (patchy or generalized dark skin pigmentation) produced by
What is the Procedure for Cosmelan Treatment?
Treatment with Cosmelan occurs in two basic steps. The first is performed in our office and the second is done at home.
- First Step: After the doctor evaluates the patient's skin type, the skin is cleansed with a degreasing product to remove skills oils, dead cells
and debris. Then Cosmelan 1 is applied as a mask to the skin, after which the patient can go home, leaving the mask on. Depending on skin type, the
mask is left on the skin for 6 to 10 hours, after which it is removed with a neutral cleanser and water.
- Second Step: Immediately after the mask is cleansed from the skin, Cosmelan 2 (mesoestetic Hydra-vital factor K cream) is applied to the treated
area. Application 2 to 3 times daily is continued for the next few weeks, then once a day going forward. Daily use should be continued indefinitely
for best results.
Patients can expect redness and peeling in the first 3 to 5 days of the treatment. If you work during the week, it might be
advisable to begin treatment near the end of the week so the major peeling occurs over the weekend. It is important to use a full-spectrum sunblock to
protect the treated area and to prevent pigmentation from returning.
How Soon Will I See Results with Cosmelan MD?
Significant improvement can be seen in many cases 1-2 weeks after Cosmelan treatment is begun. In 2 to 3 weeks, the melasma pigment has lightened. For
most patients, dark spots are no longer visible after 4 to 6 weeks.
Benefits of Cosmelan Peels
This treatment has a number of advantages for patients with mottled pigmentation and dark spots:
- Compatible with both light and dark skin types.
- Can be used to treat all types of pigmentation and melasma
- Provides benefits of multiple combined ingredients
- Results seen in as little as one week in some cases
- Retinoic acid promotes cell turnover and renewal
- Minimal to no pain involved with the treatment
- Minimal side effects
- Works well for patients with sensitive skin
Ventura County Cosmetic Surgery: Oxnard, Camarillo, and Ventura
There are several different types of hyperpigmentation, and Cosmelan MD is effective for all of them. Melasma (grey-brown patches on the face) or
chloasma (grey-brown patches associated with pregnancy) can be hereditary, or triggered by hormonal changes. Age spots are the result of long-term
exposure to the sun. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can be caused by trauma or inflammatory injury to the skin.